Friday, July 4, 2008

On Being Loyal

Every divorcing women needs one of these. They come with fur.... some meow, some bark but what they do most of all is give you great comfort and are great listeners.
I inherited mine. My oldest daughter proudly announced she was mature enough to take care of him and then left for Japan 6 months later. In those first six months she did such a great job that I have inherited the perfect dog.... I can hardly wait for grand kids from her.
Rocky is my heart and my soul.He has shared my tears, cuddled on demand and been there whenever I needed without complaint. I, in turn, have walked and strolled many a times along the ridge and picked up after him when he deposits natures gifts. We are soul mates.
He is our advance warning on the doorbell, he growls when an argument ensues in our home gently reminding those involved that we are now a household of peace.
In one instance, he kept the monster at bay during a particularly difficult time and was my protector.... all 14.5 pounds of him.
My friend A has one of these. Last year Lucky got sick and scared us all. My heart ached for A and Lucky. I even prayed for Lucky to get better. Was that sacrilegious? It made life's grand plan real for me.
How can I ever repay such an unselfish life of loyalty. More ridge walks and his all favorite, "Do you want to go for a car ride?".
That usually means a visit to one of his friends, Jack the ripper, or Hector or Pippin or maybe even Lucky, who though she is thoroughly inquisitive of Rocky's presence, (oh, I forgot to mention...Lucky got better; even prayers for dogs and good friends are answered) is ambivalent to letting him know she's glad he's over. I secretly think they have a crush on each other.
There will never be enough that I can do to really be even with my amazing Rocky!

No comments: