Have you ever talked yourself out of something because you were afraid or felt like you simply couldn’t do it? When I was married I was bombarded with “cant’s” and “wont’s” and “there is no way you will be able to do that”. Every once in a while I would shock him and accomplish something and he would be a bit stunned and then say something about it being a one time thing.
Well about six years ago when I knew that I would have to do some things that would, for all intents and purposes, be impossible I completely eliminated those words…can’t, won’t and never.
I began a journey that would entail three years of hard school and 14 hour days but I don’t think I ever once felt like it was impossible. I knew that selling sewing machines for $6.00/hr wasn’t going to cut it and so I was off and running to change that.
At one point, the he in my life said there was no way I was going to be able to accomplish it. I wonder if he will ever know how much motivation I garnished from that single statement.
So the analogy of the “Little Engine That Could” applies here and I set out on a journey of self discovery. I don’t ever remember being tired or exhausted from the long days. My lunch hours were full of studying and after work I would go to the library and study until my classes started. I do remember feeling fulfilled as with each exam I took I was one step closer to my goal.
Sometimes in life you can’t look at the finish line. To get through you have to keep your eyes on the present and persevere to just the first hurdle and then the next and the next. I sure prayed a lot during this time. I think the whole CTrain ride (20 minutes) both ways was me bowing my head and just thanking the Lord for my journey and asking humbly for some help along the way.
So what did I learn from all of this?
- Never assume that something is impossible, find a way for it to be possible for you.
- Always rely on your Father in Heaven, you’d be surprised at the burdens he can carry for you if you ask.
- Rely on friends and family for ego boosters! As people watch you better yourself they become the greatest cheerleaders.
- If you have kids, your example of fulfilling your dreams will be the greatest gift you can give them.
- Expect some setbacks, they are part of the growing process and without them your forward motion is too easy and can crumble.
- That the story my father read me of the “Little Engine That Could” is one of the greatest life lessons I have ever learned. Thank-you Dad!
So why blog about this now? First; the quote. I am living a dream now. It is still hard and there are days I wish it was different but for the most part I have been truly blessed because I did what would have been nearly impossible a few years earlier. The Lord has truly blessed me. Second; because S needs to know that she can do anything too. You are an amazing person with great heart and finding out you can will make you life that much better! Being scared is normal, overcoming fear is divine.
No comments:
Post a Comment