So each year when July 27th comes along my mind is flooded with some incredible memories that have strengthened me in a way that only the Lord truly knows. It all began 16 years ago.
It was a strange day really. I had to be hospitalized almost 6 weeks before my due date because I had passed out in a Toys R Us store. They were having trouble stabilizing my blood pressure and I kept having contractions. Everyone seemed very nervous and my recollections involved mostly having an incredible headache and a Mom that was more scared than I had ever seen her.
The nurses were in and out of my room every 15 minutes and the doctor came in often too. Near the middle of the afternoon everyone was really concerned and a decision was made that the baby needed to come that day. I believe that moment in my life has been the most frightened I have ever been.
I was wheeled into delivery and they started making preparations. I won't go into great detail but they realized that I may be able to have Derek naturally. He was born about 5 hours later, very sick, as was I. We were taken our separate ways. Derek went to NICU and I to ICU. My stay was very short, Derek's lasted about three days.
Derek's journey since that day 16 years ago has been interesting. Three years to the day after this one Derek was wheeled into a operating room to remove a tumor from his brain. He has struggled with the complications of that early birth and with each trail he has met it and overcome. I have a huge testimony of the strength that is held by those kids who suffer through illness. They have a fortitude that is immeasurable.
So I celebrate today. I celebrate the birth of my last child and the journey that he an I have been on since that day. I am incredibly sad that at this moment he is so far away. Distance, though, doesn't change the relationship we have or the relationship I have with all of my precious babies. When I wake in the morning and kneel to pray my first words are always.... Thank you Lord for my children. How could I not be grateful for them. Each one has added something so special and real into my life.
My third daughter said to me when things were almost at there worst. "Mom, I know I chose to come to you. It wouldn't have mattered who you married, it was you I was meant to be with." How can you ever repay the comfort those words bring to me. To know that somehow I was meant to be the Mom to these amazing kids.
So Happy Birthday Big D! 16 and ready to take on the dating world. I am so glad I came to this amazing earth and that I can have such an incredible time living on it!
No comments:
Post a Comment