Saturday, September 6, 2008

She is a Friend of Mine.

She is a friend of mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order. It's good, you know, when you got a woman who is a friend of your mind. ~ Toni Morrison


I met a friend for lunch today. I don’t know if she can ever realize how much I appreciate her friendship. You see, she’s been around since I was 6 and she was 3. It’s a result of a great Visiting teaching partnership. Our Mom’s went out together, which is in itself a shock, and we tagged along. We connected and stayed that way, on and of, since.


Our Ex’s interfered for a bit. I’d say mine more than hers and we lost contact but there is just a connection that draws you back and you realign to know that you were always meant to be kindred. We are so kindred.


She was the second wheel on most of my dates as a youth and she’s been a super strength in understanding this journey, both the good and the bad of it. She’s a hell of a lot tougher than she thinks but never considers her journey as having been hard. I wish she would cut herself a break once in a while.


When I see people that have been friends with someone for as long as C and I have been, I see it as a treasure. I didn’t have a little sis so the BIG GUY decided to send a surrogate. Thank you to however was inspired some 40 odd years ago to make the unlikely pairing of HB and JL. I doubt they ever could have imagined.


And to my friend C, my official steady Tuesday lunch date, thank-you. You give so much more than you take and deserve more than you’ll ever think you do. :0) and love is coming, you have way to kind of a heart not to be blessed that way.

No comments: