Thursday, September 25, 2008

City Sounds

I wanted to take sometime after work and walk through the downtown corridor to my car. It was one of those incredible Alberta fall afternoons where you aren't too sure whether it will rain, snow or the sun will burst through any minute. During my 10 minute walk it almost did all three.


I love this town.


I work in one of the most beautiful buildings downtown. You can see the window of my office in this photo. I have a spectacular view of the mountains and southwest Calgary.



I came off the elevators onto 3rd street to the sounds and smells of the taxi drivers waiting for loads to the airport or wherever else those patrons needed to go. In one 20 metre distance you can come across 5 or 10 languages. It's fascinating. There is a song that says these guys might just have a Phd. I sometimes wouldn't doubt it.


As I journey down the 8th Ave walking mall this is where Calgary's character comes out. It's lined with trendy galleries, vino bars and Irish Pubs. There is a new Thai restaurant I would love to try someday. The Bay. I have the greatest memories of that store. Dressing up with my Saturday shopping dress and gloves and going there where I was very young with Grandma Patterson. Soap candies and fries with gravy and the trolley back to the Chardie Road house. Now that brings a warmness to my heart.


As I walk further down the mall you come across the addicts and street people. I always wonder, should I give them something as they put they hat our? Are they really just going to buy drugs with it? What pain must they be in to have sunk so low? I am never so much scared here as I am sad. I think.... there by the grace of God go I.



I love the architecture here. The sandstone buildings and the way they are restoring them.It makes me so proud to be a Calgarian. It connects me to my 6 generations of family that have graced the streets of this great city. It's a honor I am so very proud of. My ancestors weren't pioneers of the Mormon kind, but they were pioneers all the same.




Then near the end of my walk, the city breaks


into a quiet solitude as you get closer to City hall and the Arts district. I have seen my fair share of plays and concerts here but it will forever be remembered as the place my girls danced their way through June. The Jack Singer, Max Bell, the Engineered Theater. My daughters have graced all those stages. One of my fondest memories..... Our Town with my favorite date, Mr. D. He loves the stage and quirky plays. I have raised a boy with a heart. I love it. I look forward to our TC date this year. I am sure it will be some "off the wall" play. I love that he has a geek living inside of him.


I love my city. I love most cities. I can't wait to explore Vancouver with the girls. NYC is calling, I would love to see the temple there..... and a Broadway show.


I am content in my home. Calgary is home.


No comments: