Sunday, September 14, 2008

BEING BANFF'ed

Anyone who really knows me knows I am not the sit around type of girl. Yesterday, the mountains were calling. I don't mean a bit of a whisper either. I needed to smell the mountain air and feel the crispness of impending snow and see those beautiful Rockies that are in my very soul. So into my car I got and the 1 hour ride was on its way.


It is almost an automatic pilot condition for me. I can tell you about every moment of that drive. From leaving the congested and crazy rat race city of the city to feeling the zen of that first rolling foothill. To driving by the Grizzly Bar, the inevitable pit stop Mom and all of us used to take every summer while we were on our way to Windermere every year. My heart starts to palpitate when I see the "Canmore - next two exits". And then, the gates. I have passed though these gates for 46 years of of life.

I am not sure how many people feel this tug. I love the main street and the people. I love the fact that the one thing my government does right is try and keep this site as heritage as it can. In my early years my Father took us here skiing all the time. As a teenager I loved to go up Sulfur Mountain with my scriptures and read. I don't know if you have ever read those beautiful words on the top of a mountain but I definitely suggest you give it a try.


Dinner was awesome, Pub food is so cool. I managed to do a bit of shopping and get a cashew nut roll from the Candy Shop for the man in my life...Big D.


So I have been Banff'ed. It should do me for the next few weeks until the next time those mountains start whispering my name. Next time, my Canmore hideaway, where all my prayers are answered.


Oh Canada!

No comments: