"Your children will see what you're all about by what you live rather than what you say."
Wayne Dyer
I had a flashback last night of monumental proportions. It was eerie and beautiful all at the same time. It involved Big D.
I got the dreaded call, the one that every parent hates getting.
"Mom, it's me. You're going to be mad..... please don't be mad."
"What did you do D?"
"I had an accident, the car is totalled.'
Right at that moment as the anger was seething up to the surface I flashed back 31 years and remember a memory moment of all memory moments.
Picture those same words coming out of my mouth and my mother reaching out to me and just embracing me, thanking the Big Guy for keeping me safe.
I wasn't perfect, I did express frustration; only because money is so tight and fixing the car may be next to impossible but what I did do was ask, "Are you okay, is everyone okay?" There was the sound of an ambulance coming in the background and my heart was sinking but D assured me everything was fine.
When I arrived at the accident scene I just hugged D, told him how much I loved him and cried that he was safe. The police officer walked over, thanked me for raising such an incredible and respectful kid and made sure I knew that D was 100% NOT AT FAULT and there was nothing he could have done to avoid the accident. He continues to make me so proud.
Four kids, three accidents. All coming out safely... knock on wood! As a parent you never get used to this but you always are grateful and say the silent prayed of gratitude for a child coming out unscathed and pray for the parents of those kids that don't .
D is aching, he'll be busing it for a while. I played mean parent and made him follow through all the incidentals of an accident. Calling the AMA, getting the car to the car lot etc. I'm giving him a bit of a reprieve as he rests today, soothing his aching back and neck.
I'll never really know how well I do as a parent until I watch my children parent their kids. I know my Mom was almost always great and more than anything else, she was an excellent example that I use over and over again as I raise my kids.
I hope that the way I live will be the best way of letting my kids know who and what I am about. I may never be what some may think I should be but in the end, the only thing that matters is what my children think I am and who I am to my Father in Heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment