Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thank God.



“There is no better way to thank God for your sight than by giving a helping hand to someone in the dark.”


~ Helen Keller


I seriously dislike the Calgary city planners... really.... what are thinking?


When I go for my afternoon walk downtown, I have to transverse over piles of construction and go from one side of the street for two blocks to crossing the street to the other side for two blocks than back again all to avoid the massive amount of partial street closures that make it impossible to just walk down a city side walk.


Today though, I have now been directly affected. It hit my pocketbook, or for that matter, A's pocket book which we are still in discussion about. She was running errands today and borrowed my car. In picking me up from work downtown she drove through a recently opened lane on 9th Ave. About 1 minute later we started to hear this unbelievable noise like someone was throwing steel at my car. She pulled over and lo and behold a 1/2" bolt with a matching steel plate had embedded itself in my tire! UGHHHHHHHH! I hate flat tires.


No really, I absolutely do hate flat tires!!!


There we were in front of the Calgary Tower and watching as the air was slowly oozing out of my tire. A being the multi talented women that she is reminded me that we are SHE-WOMEN and we that we 'CAN DO IT!". We started to pull out the paraphernalia that facilitates the changing of a tire as all these executive men casually looked on and offered no help. Yeah for educated men! I guess you need to be Barbie like for them to offer any assistance. But alas, all was not lost!


Joe construction worker, who no doubt had started his day at 6am stopped and asked if he could give us a hand. This guy looked like he had one heck of a hard day but he got the lug bolts off, which, by the way, must have been screwed on by Hercules himself, and wham, bam, the tire was changed in a total of 10 minutes. We thanked him profusely and I gave him a few buck to get a warm coffee so he could warm up and my faith in mankind was restored.


Who was the night in shining armour! A hard working construction guy with a heart!


The shame of it is that I didn't get his name. My faith is restored, they are decent people out there still, they're just not in suits, their in Mark's Work Warehouse coveralls!

No comments: