Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Neal A. Maxwell

A vital, personal question for each of us, therefore, is, “Are we steadily becoming what gospel doctrines are designed to help us become?” Or are we merely rich inheritors of an immense treasure trove of truth but poor investors in the process of personal development so essential to discipleship? ~ Neal A Maxwell


When I attended BYU I never signed up for the "popular" religion classes with the "flowered and enthusiastic" professors. I searched out the small classes when discussion became a vital part to the learning and "visual aids" were the prof writing on the blackboards. Sorry, no whiteboards back then.


The lessons I learned in those classes were essential to my well being throughout my life so far. I remember where, in my Religions of the World class, the professor didn't focus on what was wrong with the other religions but what was right and the good that they were doing. An honest an open discussion of all the theologies was always my most favorite learning style.


What I learned that semester has carried me and allowed me to have some of the best interactions with others about their religions. I never got anything lower that an 'A' in my religion classes not because I tried so hard but because in the listening it just sunk right in.


I have such a keen understanding of some of the most basic of principals of the gospel. I think the thing I loved most about all of this was that hardly any time was ever invested in the classes with argumentative discussion or ever wasted to know those truths that just don't have answers yet.


In the exposure to Anti Mormon literature, nothing surprises me, because I already knew by being in these weird classes. You would be amazed at the people that were part of this. Average, easy going, intelligent and content Zoobies who just loved the gospel in a very simple way.


If you take out all the expectations, demands and rules and just look at what this gospel has to offer it can bring an incredible amount of peace. I don't, however, believe we hold any kind of monopoly on happiness. My daughters CRINGE when Mormons bear their testimonies and say how sad they feel for those who have never felt happiness because they don't have the gospel. I have to say, I know a lot of very content, congenial, generally happy non-members and I know an equal amount of very unhappy members. Its an oxymoron I know, but I have no answers to offer on this except one.


I am Mormon because this gospel works for me. I have no expectations of anyone around me who must feel as I do. My life and the smile on my face should witness this great testimony and draw others to ask, why? I hope someday to serve a mission. I am not sure about proselytizing, but definitely service. My girls know this is what I have planned for part of my future. I believe they honor that choice because they know it has been in my wishes since I was a young women.


I know they will support my choice as I have, in turn, honored their choices knowing that the plan of salvation gives them the right to make them.


I thank my Father in Heaven everyday for great, amazing kids who I love so very much. My hope is that I will always be an integral part of their lives and that they will always know, I WILL LOVE THEM ALWAYS UNCONDITIONALLY because that is what is ingrained in my nurturing instinct as a Mom.


K, K, K & D, I LOVE YOU! :0)

No comments: