Friday, October 24, 2008

The Power to Choose, to Respond, to Change.

"Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will and creative imagination. These give us the ultimate human freedom... The power to choose, to respond, to change."

~ Stephen Covey


Once again I am reflecting on the experience I have had to look at what it is I am to learn. I am beginning to think this blog is just one big S DRAMA show and have contemplated stopping. Then I thought. What kind of legacy do I want to leave my children and grandchildren? When it’s all said and done, really, they are the ones who will remember you. So I wondered. What is it I want to leave them?


Clearly, from the circumstances of the last few weeks in just ain't going to be a ton of money. Well, as a family we had already been through that. So what of words... my words.


Years ago, my Dad inherited a large steamer trunk. It sat in my parents basement, tucked away for years, until my brother pulled it out and opened it. It was a treasure. Full of paintings and books and letters. OLD LETTERS.


W is still deciphering the letters and every once in a while we get a coil bound book that contains the writings of a past relative or even one maybe more current. I can't tell you how grateful I am to read these volumes of words. Thanks W!


How about a great..great...great aunt's journey to Istanbul for a Spa vacation to improve her health. Yes, I have a legacy of words in my family and it has made me realize that maybe in a hundred years my ancestors will read my musings and find some comfort in them.


So here's to what I am on about today. Stephen C's quote.


4 Human Endowments.


1.) Self Awareness - when we know who we are and acknowledge it, both the good and the bad, we become whole and pure. Maturity and circumstance bring this to us. You need both to recognise that you are what you are and you have within you the power to change. I have intimate knowledge of change. I remember a time of hopelessness and a feeling of powerlessness. I didn't know of my divinity. Once I understood the concept of truly being a daughter of God I found in myself the ability to overcome everything. I just recognize the reality of time and healing.


2.) Conscience - wow, this one is essential. I have come to an understanding of owning what is your faults and not owning what isn't. In the grasping of truth in your life you MUST be able to know what it is that is wrong so as you can make things RIGHT in your life.


3.) Independent Will - Alone is scary but important. It's a step, I hate to say this but most young Mormon girls miss this. They find themselves going from the dependence of their parents straight into a marriage an miss the part of life where you learn Independence. I missed it. I am learning it now, and loving it! Take time to really know that you can be you and be great. Make difficult decisions, live to them, stand behind them and show all around you that you have inner strength. Life can be brutal and without inner fortitude trials can way so heavy that you give up. Finding the will inside you to hold on is so essential to being integral to yourself. It allows you to put healthy boundaries in place so you can exist with others.


4.) Creative Imagination - I love this. My Momma taught me this. She encouraged me to imagine and dream. She gave me outlets to become one with the talents God gave me and always encouraged me to live to them as they were God's gift to me. Talents weren't just defined like writing or flower arranging. She saw talent in being a good friend, a good listener, a faithful person, a good sister, daughter or Mom. One thing she always said to me. "Remember you have been blessed with a testimony, some haven't S, live always to what you know for yourself. It will give you strength. " My momma was the most creative and imaginative person I know. I couldn't have been blessed with a better Yomomma!


So in the end, understanding the complexities of these four endowments and knowing where you are at in relation to them can give you strength to be a complete and more compassionate human being! I always remember though that I am constantly changing and growing. If I can keep that growth positive I may be able to accomplish the miracle of a whole and healed family! That is my goal.

No comments: