Sunday, August 31, 2008

Testimonies and Weddings.

I had an interesting day today. My most incredible son gave his first talk as a priest. He told me about it earlier in the week and convinced me that he had the whole thing under control. When he came to me, last night at 11:30pm and told me he might not have been completely honest about that, I was able to teach him a valuable lesson on personal responsibility. I gave him limited guidance and told him it was his talk, his worry, and went to bed. I didn't get to sleep until nearly 5:30 am because I was so worried. I shouldn't have.

D has such an incredible depth to his precious young soul. I know it comes from the suffering he has gone through because of his illness. He gave one of the most touching and spiritual talks I have heard on prayer.

Here's an excerpt;

"I have had a number of experiences with prayer. As a little child my parents taught me that prayer was very important. I realized very early that many times prayer can help you make very difficult decisions easy. When I was young, I had a lot of health problems. I remember praying often just to stop the pain. Those prayers were always answered and even though I know that my trials make me stronger, having my prayers answered has made me spiritually stronger. "

He then spoke about an answer to prayer he received to know if the church was true. All I can say is WOW. Sometimes the strongest testimonies come from the most plainly spoken words. I am so proud of all my children but today I was especially proud of him, not because of his testimony, but because of his inward strength.

I had to leave right after his talk to attend a wedding of a dear friends daughter. Here we were standing in the cold pouring rain and I felt the spirit again. I stood there and watched as this incredible extended family of a displaced Irish community gathered in support of one of their own. A fractured family put aside differences and stood together, a daughter honored her mothers efforts and included her in the walk down the isle and all of us watched as an incredible girl began her new journey. I was so honored to be there and to stand with them.

I had an awesome day and realized the spirit can be felt in a pew in the chapel and the banks of the Bow all withing a few hours of each other. God is so great!

No comments: