Thursday, August 21, 2008

True Teacher

A true spiritual teacher does not have anything to teach in the conventional sense of the word, does not have anything to give or add to you, such as new information, beliefs, or rules of conduct. The only function of such a teacher is to help you remove that which separates you from the truth of who you already are and what you already know in the depth of your being. The spiritual teacher is there to uncover and reveal to you that dimension of inner depth that is also peace. Eckhart Tolle - Stillness Speaks


One thing that my Father taught me is to search words to find answers. I remember the first book he every gave me like it was yesterday. It was my sixth birthday and he had wrapped it so beautifully. I knew it was important because Dad wasn't a birthday gift giver back then, that was Mom's job. I slowly opened the present to unveil "The Pooh Story Book" by A.A. Milne, first edition. I felt that I had hit the mother load. I can't describe how special I felt that he had gone to the effort of getting me that book. I knew he saw in me the love of reading the was just gestating. I ran to my room and began an odyssey that lives with me to this day.


So why the quote by Eckhart Tolle? Because my Dad also taught me that day to search words to learn about who I was and what I could become. My Father is a reader, his library will testify of that. He has passed this to me in both his example and in his genetic coding. Words are my solace thanks to him.


Thank-you Dad, for not only teaching me to love words but to find in them the peace and serenity that can make me whole. My Mother was my cushion, my Father is my rock. You have been one of the greatest spiritual teachers I will ever have without ever talking about spirituality with me..... except of course, to teach me about those people at church that love to hear themselves intellectualize the gospel and blow smoke up every one's arses. (Sorry Dad, my Irish friends taught me that word.) Your honesty in life is awe inspiring. Please know that I love you Dad, always, and thank-you for being the clandestine spy in the minds of all your grandchildren.


I know I say it a lot but let me say again. I Love you Dad, and thanks...... for everything!

No comments: