Sunday, August 17, 2008

ASSUMPTIONS

We simply assume that the way we see things is the way they really are or the way they should be. And our attitudes and behaviors grow out of these assumptions.” Stephen R. Covey

For a very large portion of my life this very idea was how I lived my life. It never occurred to me that being involved in every situation I witnessed or heard about or participated in there were always assumptions made based on what I brought to the thought process.

I remember a very long time ago, when I was early in my marriage I had been involved in a situation where I thought I knew what would be best for a person. I expressed my opinion, with all the expertize I thought I knew I had and watched as this person listened and then ruled it out. Now, you probably think I was mad for the dismissal of my words but in fact I wasn't. I learned at that moment that even though I might think I knew what was best, reality is that we can only know for ourselves. My assumption was that I knew everything to have an answer for her but there was so much I didn't know. I can easily say that at the time I learned one of the most valuable lessons of my life.

I face assumptions that people make. I have to admit I don't do it well. I have struggled often with the feelings of whether to correct those assumptions that people have made about me or just live with them and move on. My daughters have had their lives turned upside down by the cruelty of assumptions. I think that they can devastate a life when they are incorrect.

I wish I could say that I am uninvolved in the cruelty that assumptions can make but I can't say that. I often fight making an opinion about some circumstance and in the end have to apologize or find some way to redeem that opinion.

Mormonism isn't just a religion it is your entire life and sometimes you can get so involved that you forget the gospel of living and it becomes a culture of living. I openly apologize to those I have hurt by making incorrect conclusions and not following my own advise. I openly commit to being more mindful of making the most of living the gospel for myself and less mindful of others way of living.

I will not fight the assumptions others make of me or my family. I will live true to myself.

No comments: