Tuesday, August 26, 2008

All of us driven by a simple belief that the world as it is just won't do — that we have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be.

So last night I was relaxing after a mind draining day at work and came across the National Democratic Convention on T.V.
Now, let’s make this perfectly clear. I am not a political junkie and really was about to change the channel to something more interesting when I was caught by the woman speaking. Michelle Obama.
You know words impress me and I was very riveted by the eloquent way in which she was speaking and by the context she was using. Here was a politician speaking about families and daughters and the love she had for her husband, for giving up the proverbial rat race of riches and toys to pursue reality and helping a fellow man. All this from a democrat. Go figure.
I am not American, but I wish I was. Finally, a politician who isn’t thinking of the bottom line but who might just have the heart of an everyday family as its call. Somehow, I am sure, that the definition of that family isn’t going to supersede the help they want to provide for it. That God can concern himself with how that family should be defined and that a government can concern itself by reaching out to all people, no matter how they define themselves.
Yeah, I know, that doesn’t sound very Mormon of me. I do believe that families should be as described in the proclamation but reality is that not everyone else does and to force my opinion or belief that it should be the only opinion that matters is against what I know the plan of salvation to be. I can’t and won’t judge another. I can’t. I have too much in my own closet to work through that I can’t take a chance at judging anyone else.
So here’s to Michelle Obama. Someone who has the courage to declare her overriding concern for her own children and for believing that making their world better will ultimately make a better world. For acknowledging that parents, both Father and Mother make a huge difference in the outcome of the raising of a child. For acknowledging that single parents can just as easily raise a child with high standards and values, though more difficult, and that if we as a society reach beyond our potentials and support one another along the way, society becomes all the better for having done so.
When I think about the above quote I believe in my heart that the agenda that should be met is not just mine but a moral conscious that takes in all thoughts and processes. That religion should not determine value but those values should be brought back to our religions and that living is done as a collective to insure that all have access to a better life.
So here I sit in Canada wondering if I will ever be afforded a choice that will coincide with the values and dreams I have for my future, my children’s future and my grandchildren’s future. I doubt that. What I will have is a bunch of stubborn bureaucrats that spend all their time name calling and accusing the others of political misdeeds that bind up my government like fiber does to a body, constipating any hope for a brighter and more enlightened future.
Oh Canada!

No comments: