Saturday, March 13, 2010

#19 Never Too Late

Life Lesson #19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

When Michael Jackson died I ached for all that was lost to the world. He was, above all else a genius, who lost the most fundamental part of life, those years when, as we grow, we are free of the burdens and hardships of adulthood and simply just grow without burden. (Of course that’s the best case scenario there) I doubt we will ever truly know to what extent the abuse and turmoil of his what his early life left on him but what we do know is that the damage was real and horrible and that for the remainder of his life he simply sought out what was missed. He just wanted his childhood back.

I have no real complaints to my childhood. I had a great Mom, a somewhat absent but great Dad and wonderful grandparents. It was full and happy and great memories flood back as I recall all that was at my fingertips. I have often wondered if it would have been much different if my parents hadn’t have joined the church or if my father had been around but for the most part I am completely content with how I grew up.

Something about my healing that I treasure is the concept of letting go. To release the tension and anger of the past and chose each day to be a new one, free of the encumbrances of the past and able to redefine for yourself the meaning of now. This moment is perfect, untouched and ready for your life print to give it memory. It is your choice to its attitude and now, thanks to the help of some pretty amazing people, my life prints are wonderful.

Knowing that each moment is mine to own and each passing day is a memory to fill with happiness has forged me ahead and let the healing be complete. I love my life, warts and all, and without the past I would have no way of knowing how to avoid the pitfalls that would ensnare me into the circle of anger or discontent now. What a wonderful journey this earth life is.

I owe my parents a great debt for allowing me to be a child for as long as they did and also for allowing me to be grown and responsible when the time came. I still very much cling to the hope that there will always be happiness because I know now where that happiness is derived. Finding that out releases anxiety and brings understand to the concept of child-like.

No comments: