There are moments in your life that change you forever. One such moment happened just under 11 years ago when I let my heart open to a round golden ball of fur. He was alone and shyly looking up at K3 and I through the window and as our eyes met, I knew our song was harmonious and he was going to come home with us. The adage about the “puppy in the window” plays the aching chords of my heart as I type this. It feels in everyway that a part of my world that teaches me about the very basic rules of humanity has been torn apart and tested to see if it was ever real. I lost my most trusted companion and friend last night, it feels as if a part of my very soul has gone.
I said goodbye to him last night, tears are falling on the keyboard as I type. He was the PERFECT dog, the most absolute PERFECT dog and every moment of the life we shared together was a blessing granted to me.
How do you say goodbye to the soul that helped saved yours in some of the darkest moments of your life? How do you pay homage to the warmth that laid beside you as you curled into a fetal position searching you mind for relief when nothing ever afforded it? How do you ever come to terms with the loss of a dog who was your soul mate. I will miss my old man so much, so very much.
There was never a moment in his life that he didn’t give. Even in his death he hung on to say goodbye. As W brought him to me I knew he was going, I desperately want him to stay, I prayed so hard for him to stay but his purpose on this earth was served, he is at my mother’s feet now. To those who have shared this kind of bond, I know you will understand. I will miss this kindred soul forever, he touched my heart and held it through the worst and best moments of my life, I am forever in his debt.
I remember a time, at the darkest hours of my despair, this little man never strayed farther than a reach away from me. He protected me from harm, he made me laugh and he instinctually consoled me through so much more. He was more than my pet, he was my best friend. There are so many memories I could write about but my heart is broken in the remembrance and the pain still to close to the surface.
I know my loss is much less in comparison to the loss of a little girl I know who lost her mother this week and for that I am sorry. It doesn’t even pail in comparison and I do understand that but this hurts so deeply and so intently that I can barely breath.
Thank-you all for helping through this hard time. To Wayne who cradled Rocketman through what I am sure was the scariest car ride he has ever been on, to my children both near and far for their support and for my friend, who stayed to comfort me and do so without judgment thank you so much.And thanks most to the ROCKETMAN for being everything God ever intended a faithful companion to be and then more. You loss will be forever felt in my heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment