Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sing - Like No One is Listening

"Sing like no one’s listening, love like you’ve never been hurt, dance like nobody’s watching, and live like its heaven on earth." ~ Mark Twain

The other day I was watching old movies on TBS. An autobiographical movie done in the late 30’s was on and it followed Mark Twain from young adulthood to his death. Mark Twain has always been a favorite of mine and watching this movie made me realize that as much wisdom as the man had including the heartache he suffered he always seemed to find wisdom in the comedy of his life. I think that’s why he is often referred to as the greatest humorist the world has ever known. Come on, he travelled the world going from place to place and all he did was speak and make people understand that as hard as life can be sometimes there is, above everything else, reason to find humor. He did this for one very distinct purpose. He wasn't going to file for bankruptcy and let his lenders suffer from his misfortune. He travelled until his debts were paid and when that was accomplished he returned home. He was honorable.

Today, I was going through the obituaries, a habit I inherited from my Mom and came across the notice of a man who was my age who recently died. The quote is as follows, “Rob lived his own book of awesome”. I actually stopped reading and felt that though this man had died much sooner than anyone ever expected, what he had done is live his life to the fullest. Literally living his book of wonderful. How I wished that I could grasp that feeling and move through my life in that way.

What can one do to grasp the wonderful life we all deserve and rid ourselves of the pain that seems to disable movement forward in any meaningful way? Ahhh, if I had the answer to that I wouldn't be such a disappointment to my kids.

I was listening to my satellite radio today and a man was on talking about spirituality. There I was listening to one of the most meaningful thoughts I had heard in a very long time. He spoke of spirituality and religion and the differences. My whole life I have defined myself as a religion almost negating spirituality. Then I realized that what I have now is such a deep and abiding belief in God and his goodness and his availability to everyone and that finding my purpose that is mine to fulfill on this earth would be the first chapter in my own book of awesome.

So what am I on about? I need to quit mourning the loss of my religion and celebrate the grasping of my spirituality.

Oh, and by the way - meet MISSY, the newest member of our family,

No comments: