It was a bit of a better day today - a crappy night because I got about 2 hours sleep but once I got to work and was head on full steam my mind went away from the pain and hurt.
I got home and W, K2 and I had supper. I had just gotten upstairs to change out of my work clothes when the doorbell rang. W answered it and in walked my Dad, straight off his two day car ride home from Utah. I worried about calling Dad about Rocky, I wondered if he would understand the pain. I knew he loved Rocky, they bonded the moment they met so I knew I had to call and at least let him know. Dad was grateful for the call and offered his condolences. I thought that would be it.... Dad isn't known for his warm and fuzzy personality even though Mom swore up and down that Dad was the biggest heart she knew.

SO, back to the story.... I came down the stairs and there was Dad holding a flower bouquet and a card and looking lost, almost heart broken. I asked him to sit and then he started - Dad does that sometimes, he just started talking and you get these amazing stories and insights and you feel blessed that he opened up. He spoke of having to put Lady dog down and tears welled up in his eyes. He had to put her down in 1986, nearly 25 years ago and tears still come when he talks about what she meant to him. I can only say that Dad and I shared something in that moment that only those who have lost their dearest K9 companion can share. I may be a bit of a wuz but I am proud to have had this kind of bond, at least once. I think it makes you a deeper more compassionate human.
Thanks again Rocketman, I beginning to see the light again and to feel less sorrow and feel more hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment