Saturday, January 15, 2011

WOW - 12 hours later

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/brisbane-floods-did-the-dams-work.htm

I can't believe this week is nearly over. My new job keeps me so busy that time literally FLYS and the end of the day comes sooner than you ever wanted it to.

This was a full week - a new grandpuppy is amongst our family, GUS-GUS is a five year old British Bulldog that has been adopted from the local shelter. He is a gentle giant of a dog with a far greater fascination to PING then that old girl could handle so we now have her back. She is in heaven here but seems at a loss. She spent the first day and a half looking for the Rocketmen. I spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday in fear of what would be happening the K1 and A while they were in Brisbane through the floods. All is well and they were evacuated to higher ground. The city is a stinky, muddy mess so in spite of that my greatest relief is they are safe. I will be heading down in a couple of weeks to visit.

I saw this article about the difference having the dam upstream made to the city. It made me think about preparation and pre managing disaster both in the physical aspects and emotional aspects of our lives. I had a visit from a dear friend this week. She's a busy lady and she came and we discussed the challenges I have had as well as hers. It was a great conversation. There are some who have made it a point to ask why I don't go to church, some will express that they miss W and I, D too. Others will criticize but the universal sentiment is: "after being so strong and enduring so much, why give up now?"

The answer is very simple and two fold: the taunting and torment of those "mean" ones is what drives the social culture of the church - it was never going to end as much as I have been told to ignore them or rise above it, it was NEVER GOING TO END. As long the voices from my past continued to fuel the contention and those that listened failed to follow through on ever grasping the concept of forgiveness and two sides to every story, my life there would always be filled with judgement and criticism. If my own brother can't even muster a kind word or even a hello, church isn't a place I choose to be, it hurts to damn much. Secondly - if my salvation continues to be forgettable to my leaders it must not be important as a general condition.

It boils down simply - I am tired of trying to fit in and fighting to fit in. The Gospel is universal and available to all, if others want to pervert it and put codicils are the exclusivity of it, so be it.

The dam above Brisbane saved that city from complete and utter destruction. Up river they prevented the water from ripping through the city by preparing much ahead of way. Same here, my floods come, over and over again. Damning the river of hurt far away makes what does get trough way more manageable. Besides, from the online communities I have been a part of, my harsh treatment isn't exclusive to my ward or even my stake. For some reason, just about everywhere, there are some members who feel they have a right to bring down condemnation based on the GOSSIP they hear. I am not the first person to be hurt or to walk away because of it and I won't be the last, of that I am sure.

No comments: