Saturday, October 9, 2010

These Old Men.

I have two old men in my life, both of whom I love dearly. It's ironic though because at this time, they are exactly the same age - Dog years to human years. They are both in their early 80's.

My Dad is a dog man but because of his extensive travels he hasn't owned one for years. When I was about 7 or 8; I remember the day clearly, we had just returned from Windermere and school had just started. It was a Saturday I think and all I recall clearly is being in front of the house and seeing Dad pull up in his truck. He was home from his geology camps up north. The truck door swung open and out jumped the most beautiful red setter type dog I had ever seen. The look on Grandma's face was priceless but to tell you the truth, I think she fell in love with Lady Dog that moment too.

When Dad was in town, Lady was all over it and when he was gone she belonged to the neighborhood. She was beautiful and she was our families first experience at dog ownership.

When I went to my parents house for the separation, Rocketman joined us. There were 4 of us coming to the house and the empty nest filled quickly. I was so concerned at Dad's reaction but he was welcoming because I know he felt that this was something my family needed. His way of giving at a time when acceptance was so important. Rocky hadn't spent much time with Dad but once we arrived the bond was instantaneous.

To this day, saying to Rocky - "Want to go to Grandpa's house?" puts him into over drive and he circles you tell he is safely in the car and on his way. When we got there yesterday, Grandpa wasn't home yet so he wondered everywhere looking for him. The door opened and he was all over it, not to mention Grandpa had chicken. I see these two together and it makes me smile.

A man who loves dogs is a man worth knowing! 

No comments: