Saturday, May 9, 2009

Restraint

“Why are we so full of restraint? Why do we not give in all directions? Is it fear of losing ourselves? Until we do lose ourselves there is no hope of finding ourselves.” ~ Henry Miller

Love… love…love spring and all the rebirth of everything that has laid dormant throughout the winter; except maybe the bears, I sometimes wish they would just stay asleep. But anyway you look at it I feel such a renewal as the snow melts and the dusty shades of brown have slight puffs of green emerging to show that in fact, though it was a brutal winter, they survived and are returning to take their rightful place.

When the weather warms I return to all my outdoor activities which give me an endorphin rush of sanity and make the happy women I love to be. Spring is a verb. It makes you want more out of life; it forces you to think about starting, and moving and grooving to life’s rhythms.

Yesterday, as I was walking during my lunch hour and enjoying the zen of the pace, I had decided to run/walk and it was my first try. It felt good to breathe and not cough and to feel the spring air pass through my lungs. The river is beautiful and the pathways clear. I felt this gentle rush of wonderment as I just love being in my beautiful city taking such advantage of it.

When I had completed my route and emerged from my urban oasis known as Princess Island Park I preceded on to 4th Ave and reached the intersection of 4th and 4th. I was alone, which is usual but I was surrounded by the chaos of massive construction and cars, trucks, sirens and just before the light turned green I heard the distinctive call of a Canadian Goose. I looked up and above me was a pair of geese passing through the canyons of Calgary’s downtown skyscrapers heading into the park I had just left.

I love the analogy of geese and how they head south or north or wherever it is they are going. They seem to have their own integral compasses that though vastly different from each other they still end up exactly where they are meant to be. Does it make any sense that a goose would choose the path of most resistance to get to the park? It does if that is the path it has chosen for itself.

So here was this pair of geese doing what geese do best and doing it in their own way and it was inspiring. I have such a testimony of choice and paths and endurance. I may never be what others would have me be but for me I am okay.

So what am I on about when it comes to the above quote? If that pair of geese had fear or restraint they would most likely have chosen a much different path; an easier path. They went to what they felt, instinctually for their path as I know all of us have as well. Inherently we know where it is we are supposed to be, we just may not get there the same way others do. As far as losing yourself, that’s apparent in just the everyday aspects of life.

So what’s so special about geese and why would it ever be blog worthy. Well….. It was what I saw that morning. That same pair of geese are nesting on the Home Oil Tower ledge. Does that make any sense at all? We’ll have to see how they get those babies to the river when it’s time. I am sure it will make the news!

No comments: