"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute - and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity. " ~Albert Einstein
I had a great life lesson today that I want to share. It's just when you think you have everything figured out and all those precious ducks lined up in a row that you just get to damn cocky. That's exactly what I did, and I broke all my own new rules.
K1 spoke to me about a letter that K2 received. K2 was hurt and felt the letter was a slight to her and wondered why she had been singled out. It was from M and it was a reimbursement, long overdue, and a question. In the question K2 felt slighted and hurt and wondered why she and not all the kids had been confronted.
The mommabear in me reacted and I even sat on it for some time. I then asked the K2 if it would be okay if I responded. She said yes because she wanted me to help her remove the burden of carrying the connection to M alone. She is the only one he communicates with. I then composed the real first communication I have had with him in over 6 months.
I let my own anger at his abandonment of the kids interfere with the message I needed to send and broke every rule I have put into place about writing and then waiting. The letter was short and curt and accusing but more than anything else it was clear. And now, all I can think is that because of perspective it will never be met with anything other than disdain and I have done no service to my beloved K2.
I will never understand why men think that when they get divorced they divorce the children too. It seems a universal truth though I have seen the odd man really make an effort to keep close to his children. This is clearly not the case here.
So what am I on about. Taking time, even if you think you have taken enough, to just sit back and ask, are my actions hurting or helping. I could have helped K2 is so many more appropriate ways but the anger of singularly raising these kids alone got the better of me.
Next time, I'll take my time.
No comments:
Post a Comment