"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ~ Oscar Wilde
I guess I have turned into a deep thinker, either that or I simply obsess over issues best left alone…. Opps; maybe it’s a bit of both. Anyway, here’s what I am thinking. A few months ago, a “friend” who had deeply hurt me offered her form of an olive branch by asking me to consider going to New York City and see the new Broadway musical “The Book of Mormon”. I thought it was an odd branch and I goggled it. There is was; the South Park boys had done it again.
Well, since it was a short branch and nothing else was heard I let it go but was fascinated by this new musical. What was so funny about that book? I believe in staying clear of open mockery of anything! Fundamentalist over aggression is not something I am fond of either but please, respect belief whether you believe the truth of that belief or not, it’s all I ask.
So, fast forward 7 months and the musical hits Broadway with a bang. I have internet acquaintances that went and reported back that it was funny and satirical, much in the “South Park” vain. Some “Born Again” Christians were offended at the open rebellion and mockery that the Ugandans natives showed towards GOD in there songs and words and some felt it was simply appropriate when taken into context.
So you ask what an ex-mormon has to say about an issue that really isn’t their business anymore. I know, right! Normally, I would just bow out and stay clear because a.) Chances are I will never be able to see the play in the first place. (I don’t think opinions count unless they are validated by personal experience or knowledge) and b.) I am not much concerned about it.
So, hears the kicker – I got an email with a link to the SALT LAKE TRIBUNE’S critic of the whole shebang. Weird hey, SLC sent someone to NYC to see a Broadway musical so they could go back to SLC and give an “unbiased” (cough, cough, cough, cough) critique. Not going to happen….. Ever. It’s kind of like asking me if the Mormon’s are a nice bunch of people. I know some will say they are but those words won’t much exit out of my mouth. I can’t be trusted with an unbiased opinion on that matter and so I don’t give it, unless I am blogging or asked. Period.
Anyway, back to the point of my post. For years and years and years as I sat through hours and hours and hours of religious instruction there never was a moratorium on bashing other religions. I mean jokes, harsh words, laughter and even out right assertion of WRONG. It wasn’t taboo to go there and they did, often. So here I was reading this article thinking, really, you’re calling that card? You’re angry because you feel attacked. As my momma used to say – “If you can’t stand the heat – get out of the kitchen”.
Many a better person has made fun of me, I am the constant joke for some of the Sunday dinners for the way I have been and acted but when I finally grew up, and I realized that if you can’t laugh at yourself, who will? So buck up Momo’s, this is a parody and really, think about it. A sheltered, morally outstanding Utah boy has a grasp on a war torn Godless culture just because he speaks the language? Really?
Let’s talk reality. Missions change these little boys into men but for those unfortunate ones who end up in places like Uganda, Mozambique, Haiti, the Philippines, their lives are never the same. They see things you and I will never see and now I am hearing stories of these young men never recovering from these experiences. If the musical draws attention to it then instead of being offended think about it. Yes, I know there are some songs that even offend me but that’s when I exercise that gift we all know about – choice. Shut it out, don’t go see and walk away. An yeah, when you hear about this religion or that or the assertion that no one is happy unless their Momo think about what that says and how offensive it might be to someone else. It can’t always be a one way street.
If you can’t find the humor in the difficulties of life then pack it up now. We have a joke in our house. When it gets tense or hard, we blame it on the “Daddy” issues. Yes, that’s right. The “Daddy” issues and sometime they pull in the Mom. What’s behind us is a ****show of heart ache but it is something we find humor in because we can. As angry as I can get, laughing is what moves us forward. Humor is essential to an emotionally healthy life.
Yes, I know. I am removed so I might not get as offended by those who would attack JS but please, how many Pope Jokes have you heard lately. If you’re offended, don’t attack back, walk away. It’s that easy. Really!

No comments:
Post a Comment