Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do
Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer;
So now you put your head in your hands, oh no!
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do.
Well work it out someday
If I could see something
You can see anything you want boy
If I could be someone-
You can be anyone, celebrate boy.
If I could do something-
Well you can do something,
If I could do anything-
Well can you do something out of this world?
Take a dream on a Sunday
Take a life, take a holiday
Take a lie, take a dreamer
dream, dream, dream, dream, dream along...
Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
OH NO!
I took a trip down memory lane last night and it was wonderful. My friend S and I went to go see Supertramp. A great rock (?) band of the 70's. It brought back some awesome recollections of a very wonderful, open and unbelievable time in my life. It made me so grateful yet again for how well my parents did and how truly gifted my Mom was at being a mother.
I think I have blogged about my Honors English class before but I was too lazy to link it here. Just as a reminder, in grade 9, a group of kids were placed into an experimental English class. I knew something was up when we walked into the classroom and there were 4 massive speakers at each corner of the room. The chairs were set in a square against the walls of the classroom leaving the middle open and accessible. We murmured (great Mormon word BTW) wondering what was up when a tall, lanky, hair down to his waist, teacher walked in. YIKES, this was '76 and though the hippy generation was in full swing, long haired freaky people weren't something I was used to being around.
He introduced himself as Mr F. and then continued to explain that his appearance at our junior high was an experiment and we were his subjects. For the next few months we were going to take a different approach to learning and that if we were opposed, instead of running to our mommies - we could leave right there and then. I was fascinated. I felt I was on the greatest amusement ride and every moment was going to be a thrill. I was not disappointed.
For the next few months, each day, we studied the works of Supertramp and Pink Floyd. We analyzed every sentence, every word, every note and what it meant not to everyone, but to each one of us personally. It was and continues to be the most influential learning experiment I was ever to be a part of. My whole perspective of reading and listening centres around the tools Mr F gave me that year.
Last night, as Supertramp began this song I sat back and found myself hearing and feeling all of the emotions of that time. Of finding in all the music words for a generation.
I hear today's songs in much the same way. What is this generation trying to tell us, it's very scary stuff. Maybe we should listen a bit more.
No comments:
Post a Comment