"You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous
thing. I wove my webs
for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life,
anyway? We're born, we
live a little while, and we die. A spider's life
can't help being something of a
mess, with all this trapping and eating
flies. By helping you, perhaps I was
trying to lift up my life a trifle.
Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a
little of that."
Charlotte, "Charlotte's Web"
E.B. White
When I think of all the books I have read and the messages inherently found in each book, the ones that have left the greatest impact have always come from juvenile fiction. It’s as if, in the great books for young adults, the authors know the message must be hidden and subtle but be so profound as to change the young readers mind without them even knowing. My life has been challenged often by these well intentioned messages.
Friendship is such a unique and treasured human experience and one to which I have great debt. I have such incredible friends and owe such a debt of gratitude for the way that they have helped me. Their wisdom and advice is so heartfelt and treasured.
I chose, very early on, when I knew I was going to be getting divorced to surround myself with the most quality of women to whom I had the greatest of admiration for the journey they had taken through their divorces. This was not a bunch of pity party Relief Society sisters getting together for bitch sessions. These were high caliper women who had taken the high road and to whom I knew would give great advice. I remember feeling exceptionally selfish and even worded those thoughts to my Bishop. He shrugged and said that at any time in my life to have that kind of selfishness it was then, he felt it was forgivable.
So here I am, almost 5 years later and I know I would never have been able to accomplish what I have without those incredible women in my life. It’s funny, we laugh and share now and mostly when we reminisce I understand that above all else, the Lord has truly blessed me with the gift of amazing friends.
I went to the temple the other day with someone I hold so dear in my heart. She is my icon, my hero, my mentor. We were laughing because I have just started dating and all the feelings are so confusing and terrifying and leaving me feeling very helpless. She had just begun dating last summer and while we shared, we laughed and I realized with a sure certainness that she was my sister before I even came here. As I shed a few tears of the left over frustration I knew that though she has assured me over and over again that I am my families anchor for the gospel, she had, for all intents and purposes, become mine.
The last of the upheaval and uncertainness is wearing and the stability of a healthy emotional life is upon me and my family. I owe so much to those who have supported and aided me. My only hope is that I can be of the same help to another and that I can return the service so as to make another’s journey easier. I hope the Lord sees fit to allow this.
So what am I on about? Having a being great friends. This is a blessing God granted us. I am in debt.
No comments:
Post a Comment