“God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.”
~Voltaire
In consideration of the above quote, how would one define “living well”? I looked it up and what came across was “A state of health, happiness, and prospering:”
It is interesting enough but still somewhat vague. What state of health, define happiness, and by what measure does a man prosper?
A have been part of what the world would have considered a very prosperous life and yet happiness was never found within those walls. Now, as a family we struggle and yet choose to enjoy the journey within reason and without extending ourselves. We play much more than we ever did and do it on a lot less money. I can’t even describe how relaxed we are even as we tread through this turbulent economy. I found it so ironic that if the world would try and convince you that money brings happiness, those with it would be the first to disagree. It makes life a bit easier but it is in the struggles that we find our true happiness.
So here I am, now trying to define living well and when I wake up every morning something is changing. I used to be angry that my life was where it was at, that some of my daily activities were forced on me. I realized that has changed, I seem more content, more at ease and I know that even though this life I have now may not have been what I wanted or expected it is still much better than what I had and for that I am eternally grateful. How can you not be?
There is no fear or anxiety anymore. I am at peace and constantly striving for a sense of wholeness but the reality here is that life in itself is a journey. I am supposed to be striving for just that; a sense of fulfillment that only comes with maturity and age. The angst of an impending anger is gone for me. As I interact with my family I have the expectation of respect and the patience of understanding. Oh sure, there are still disagreements but they are resolved and made peaceful much sooner and we feel the need to be peaceful which never existed for us before. I believe the changes that were needed were self involved and required boundaries that I set up which then gave my children the permission to be safe and whole. I find it so interesting that if we desire something from someone it is easy to find the answers within ouselves to facilitate the change in another. There are always exceptions…. If the other person doesn’t want the change, nothing you do can facilitate it. Manipulating a change is a short term answer that will soon revert back and bite you right in the arse. Now, that’s not good. For anyone!
I am living well now and when I wake I look so forward to the day ahead. Even when I know hardships are ahead for me they seem that much more surmountable because of the peace and serenity I have within my very soul. I have heard people say they are happy and now I know exactly what they mean. You can have hard days, terrible days. It is the way you bounce back that your emotional health can be equated.
I am Indian Rubber, bouncing back harder and stronger than I ever have before. Thank-you all for helping me find this within and without so living well could be realized by my family and me. We owe you!
No comments:
Post a Comment