"Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant."- Socrates, Greek Philosopher
In the past few days I have had called into question the friendships I have on "FACEBOOK". Was I aware of their stances with regards to current standards in the church?
The answer is simple - YES.
In the past year these people and their blogs, their comments, their forums have carried me to come to a truth for myself. Each has their own journey both in and out of the church and only advocate the thought "to thine own self be true".
The only influence they played in the decisions I have made have been to search my own heart and find whatever truth will be authentic to myself. Yes, some advocate lifestyles and choices and doctrines that may differ from the stand of a black and white stance to the gospel but if more of these people had greater voices I may have been active today.
You may not agree to their posts, all I ask is to eliminate their feed because I won't.
My whole life I have never fit into the traditional mold of Mormonism. In the friendships I have that have been deemed inappropriate I have found like minded people. They remind me of the good that is in the culture. A culture I could say has not be kind to me. Their voices, both written and spoken have helped me to see a side of the faith I have spent so much of life in with a more reasonable, rational perspective.
I am sad that their point of view frightens you. If it didn't it might make a more welcoming place for those who feel so lost when they walk through those chapel doors.
So though I don't know them on a personal level, I am purposeful in adding them as FACEBOOK friends, there is no doubt to that. I stand behind their words and their thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment