Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Best Religion

“Your holiness, what is the best religion?”

I thought he would say: "The Tibetan Buddhism” or “The oriental religions, much older than Christianity” the Dalai Lama paused, smiled and looked me in the eyes ….which surprised me because I knew of the malice contained in my question. He answered:

“The best religion is the one that gets you closest to God. It is the one that makes you a better person.”

To get out of my embarrassment with such a wise answer, I asked:

“What is it that makes me better?”

He responded:

“Whatever makes you
more compassionate,
more sensible,
more detached,
more loving,
more humanitarian,
more responsible,
more ethical.”

“The religion that will do that for you is the best religion”

Well, I couldn’t resist when I saw this. It speaks volumes to how I feel in general and specifically to my own life. I have a profound respect for the Dali Lama. He has a peaceful insight and if we were to just read or understand a small fraction of his wisdom we could have true peace within ourselves as well.


Religion has become such a personal thing for me. I often am asked; for everything that has happened to you, for all that you have been through, how do you stay Mormon?


Well, that’s the question isn’t it. Truth, in some Mormon eyes is so absolute and they define it as owned or only there’s is the only truth which makes for confrontation and contention which will, I believe, be detrimental to our perception by others.

I have met so many wonderful people in the last while who vary in range of belief from agnostic to celestial and what I love is that they are so encompassing of others. I have found wonderful members who for me have allowed me to know the other side of our religion. The quiet, unassuming side where faith is so pure and self realized that they have no need to impress anyone. I LOVE THESE kind of members and have learned to associate with them and gleen from them their ways of being Mormon. It has built my testimony and gives me hope that at some time I may feel like I belong.


I remember in seminary Sister P taught about the restored gospel like the keys on a piano. That because we have the fully restored gospel we have a richer, more beautiful song. Well, I was at a concert where the pianist only used 3 octaves of keys and the music was glorious. Beautiful and melodic and yet, I know, those extra keys can make a difference if used righteously.


Now, what am I saying? That as much as we have the truth, there are so many others that have truth as well and dwelling on one gospel being better that another is only divisive and combative. Embracing and understanding other religions can only benefit you if studied with acceptance at heart. Before you do, however, you must understand your testimony inherently.


I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love the principles that help me be a better person. I wish church was easier for me, I wish that I didn’t feel so judged. Outside of that, this Mormon thing is what makes me better. I am better for having been Mormon.

No comments: