#2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
Have you ever been so paralyzed by fear that you are most literally suspended in thought and movement, completely overwhelmed by the next step you will take? Well, if the answer is yes will it surprise you if I said, join the crowd!
Doubt is a very real feeling, an attitude that will, if left unchecked, control your actions, mood and movement to a better and more whole life. Understanding and changing the “I can’t attitude is the secret to a successful recovery from divorce. There aren’t a lot of options when you are separating and starting two separate households. What once covered one home must now support two and the only way the creature comforts go is out the window. Some even find themselves in poverty when they have never been there before. The only way out is to take the next small step, whether it is school or a new job or even a better job, but an attitude of can’t is only going to leave your helpless and crying out in despair.
For me, I simply became practical. I sat down and looked at the options ahead of me and started to answer the questions that could be answered. One small step after another is now some years later and I have accomplished school while working full time and find myself with a solid career. Would I have loved to choose a different profession? Oh sure, but practicality lead me to where I am and when I am only responsible for my own care, I will chase my dreams.
Doubt will curb any forward movement so a simple solution is to look at your dreams one small step at a time and see that you can in fact, make it happen. What is that gospel doctrine we learned….. “Line upon Line”. You see, everything that matters in life is a process, one small step after another.
I have these amazing friends who like to hike. We go once or twice a year and when we do, it’s almost always a surprise where we go. The trails usually involve a vigorous hike and the ever present “reward” at the end of the hard work. It usually involves some spectacular scenery and a great lunch. If I took into consideration, before I even started, the amount of effort the hike would take I might of quit before I even started but knowing that stopping and resting and moving forward slowly and assuredly results in a Zen experience that is unsurpassed. One small step after the other always offers the greatest of rewards.
No comments:
Post a Comment