
"Father Time is not always a hard parent, and, though he tarries for none of his children, often lays his hand lightly upon those who have used him well; making them old men and women inexorably enough, but leaving their hearts and spirits young and in full vigour. With such people the grey head is but the impression of the old fellow's hand in giving them his blessing, and every wrinkle but a notch in the quiet calendar of a well-spent life."
~Charles Dickens
I had the coolest life lesson today that I would love to share with you. I was rushing to get home early this afternoon so that I could go to the Dr' and get some help for my asthma. It was bitterly cold and the air was tugging and shutting down my breathing. The medication I am on is making me incredibly cranky and by the time I hit the Ctrain platform I had had enough.
Fate was smiling because no sooner had I reached the platform then a Somerset train pulled up. I walked towards the train and there slowly pacing in front of me was the most adorable old couple walking hand in hand to the door of the train. I passed by them but knew that it was polite to let them in first to insure that they got a seat. As the door opened a bunch of obnoxious teenagers exited the train loudly and with foul language. This is so common now and I could see the discomfort of this couple who were clearly in their late 70 or early 80's.
They sat in the long bench's designated for seniors and I sat across from them. The train soon emptied and just as we were leaving the downtown I started to cough. I knew that I was having trouble because I was whistling as I coughed which is a clear sign I needed the Ventolin treatment soon. The older woman was smiling at me, reached into her pocket and asked if I would like a "Riccola". I explained that it wasn't a cough but Asthma and her husband then explained that he had suffered from it as a young man but moved here to Calgary and hadn't had trouble since. He explained that he came here in 1952 she then said that she had been born in Calgary.
We had a remarkable conversation about Calgary and about generations. They spoke of the disappointment in the young generation and that the world had changed so much since they were young. They were worried and yet had hope. Was this recession going to make a difference in the attitudes of a generation that feels so entitled. Hardships always give character and what the kids are facing now is daunting.
There was no doubt that this man loved this woman and that they had ridden the train to a Dr's appointment downtown. I didn't ask why, it was none of my business but I knew that they represented so much of what is good about their generation. It made me think about my own Father and how much I admire him and just how much I miss my Mom.
Though my Asthma is a nuisance it is manageable. I have a lot of living left to do and I am so grateful for parents who raised me so well and for kids who , in turn, learned the same lessons I was taught and respect the aged. They offer so much in wisdom and learning.
By the time they got off at the Heritage station to go to the house they had moved in to on the day they got married I was so thankful for the opportunity to have met them and for the sharing of their story. What an honor.
No comments:
Post a Comment