"With . . . joy I claim the legacies of today's modern-day Church pioneers who live in every nation and whose own stories of perseverance, faith, and sacrifice add glorious new verses to the great chorus of the latter-day anthem of the kingdom of God. . . .
"We honor and respect sincere souls from all religious, no matter where or when they lived, who have loved God, even without having the fullness of the gospel. We lift our voices in gratitude for their selflessness and courage. We embrace them as brothers and sisters, children of our Heavenly Father.
"We believe that it is a fundamental human right to worship 'Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may' (Articles of Faith 1:11)."
"We honor and respect sincere souls from all religious, no matter where or when they lived, who have loved God, even without having the fullness of the gospel. We lift our voices in gratitude for their selflessness and courage. We embrace them as brothers and sisters, children of our Heavenly Father.
"We believe that it is a fundamental human right to worship 'Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may' (Articles of Faith 1:11)."
~ Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Sometimes as a culture we tend to forget that we can be exclusive and over bearing. It isn't until Non members are comfortable with you that they will tell you what they really think about members. It can sometimes be not so pretty and if you think hard enough you will realize that it isn't all cotton candy out there. Sure, we are not nearly as persecuted as the early pioneers were and I have no doubt that because of our early history and maybe some fear we choose to stay away from what some may consider the "world".
Having to go out and work and participate in the "world" as enlightened me to my role as a member in it. My values have been challenged and I believe that those that know me know where I stand. I make no excuses. I do not believe in absolutes. I believe in harmony which I believe is entirely possible in the living of a LDS life.
So here's something to think about. Why not embrace that as much as you have the right to practise and live the LDS faith that those who choose another faith have the same and enduring right and that respecting it and not criticising it might just be beneficial to a more harmonious living. Maybe then, the feeling that we are exclusive and judgemental might be purged and that we can gain more respect amongst our peers.
No comments:
Post a Comment