“You'll learn, as you get older, that rules are made to be broken.
Be bold enough to live life on your terms,
and never, ever apologize for it.
and never, ever apologize for it.
Go against the grain,
refuse to conform,
take the road less traveled instead of the well-beaten path.
Laugh in the face of adversity,
and leap before you look.
refuse to conform,
take the road less traveled instead of the well-beaten path.
Laugh in the face of adversity,
and leap before you look.
Dance as though EVERYBODY is watching.
March to the beat of your own drummer.
And stubbornly refuse to fit in.”
~Mandy Hale
So for over the last year I have fought an internal battle of my soul. It seemed that my words were making some people uncomfortable. I received a phone call stating so and true to the weakness of my being I crumbled and put down my pen.
I'm not sure why, maybe I needed to think through life rather than write through it but whatever may be in changed me.
In December of 2013 I had had enough. I was tired of being told who and what I was supposed to be. Tired of being forced to live between the lines defined by religious zealots who felt they controlled my destiny. Tired of it all.
I wrote a simple letter, a simple paragraph that had I known the freedom of spirit it would grant to me I would have done it so much sooner.
This last 6 months have been so liberating as I have allowed myself to absorb a truth that living defined not man. This path has never been easy but so well worth it.
So why pick up the pen now?
Curve balls.
I have always feared the journey I am about to embark on. It seems to be the path of many of the women of my family before me. I have no fear now as the reality has hit.
It's funny how you can lose a religion that so defined you and find so much of yourself once you do.
I will continue to chronicle this new journey and do so knowing everything will be OK.


No comments:
Post a Comment