Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Thinking...... is sometimes very painful and yet...




“No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy 

will ever miss it. Those who seek find. To those who

 knock it is opened.” 

~C.S.Lewis, The Great Divorce



C.S.Lewis is one of my favorite authors. He wasn't a writer I sought out, his words came upon me by necessity. He was a required class for my major in university.

Within the 16 week sememster we read nearly all of his novels. We went so quickly and touched so lightly on his words, the avenue so biased to Mormon think that it wasn't until nearly 30 years later, as I have started to tackle his words again that I seem to be understanding in a different much richer way.

I knew I would revisit all the old classics I sprinted through all those years ago. As I have; with time passing, learning, experience, heartache, I see the words; feel them actually, in a broader more meaningful way. Where I once saw one type of alliteration, a much different meaning exists. 

CS Lewis was a theologist, a humanist theologist. He spoke a universial language of acceptance of Christ. His words have such deep meaning. Even when I began my second journey through his words with "The Chronicles of Narnia", though I fully understand the premise, the parallals seem more profound, more universal.

So, what am I on about?????

Words. How you can spend your entire life thinking words have one meaning and how, though experience, through reality, through time, words will morph to a whole new way of being. 

Is it you that changes ir the words?

I am so grateful for change because it doesn't matter whether I changed or the words did, it's just different.

Less defined. More accepting. Less regimente. More accepting. Less judgemental, and much more accepting.

No comments: