Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lessons from the Momma Bird.

We have a bird's nest in the tree that is near are deck. It's a Robin's nest. It rests about 5 feet above our deck table and is, to say the least, beautiful. I knew we must have had a nest close as the two robins were around a lot but felt it was in the dense inner side of the large cedar bush. When W found it we thought just how lucky we were to have this in such close proximity. It was an omen of good luck.

Through out the weekend I painfully tried to catch a shot of the mom/dad hovering over the nest and in my patience I learned a life lesson from these tiny creatures and their parenting. It was, as I said, beautiful.


The nest is accessible, we can hear the little ones but they are still too small to see. The parents are skittish and when they see us watching them they fly away. They leave the nest, taking the attention away from the little ones and squawk, to the moon, to draw our attention away.

Mom and Dad tag team. That is so amazing to watch. Dad/Mom will rest on the power line while the other stays at the nest. Whoever is away will then search for food and when found will fly to the fence, make some noise and they will switch. There's no specific roles to follow, both working together as they raise they babies to flight.


As I watched these beautiful creatures and as they began to realize we weren't a threat I studied their movements mostly so that I could catch a picture. I soon started to realize that parenting, that mothering, whether done by humans or animals in most respects includes instinctual habits. These parents were protective, were stellar in their providing for the needs and in there way of trying in every way they can to keep the little ones safe. Is that any different than you and I as parents.

At some point, Mother and Father bird will be having to teach these babies to fly. This is where I say, as much as I miss her, I am glad Ping has passed. Hopefully Missy and Stano will be leaving them alone as well.


I can feel myself shifting back to stability again. I am searching for the truths found so much around me. Life has so many great lessons just waiting to be had.



The journey is just so wonderful, keeping focused on that will help.

So... added post note. This morning we realized Mom and Dad had been MIA for a few days. It appears the magpies were able to get to the nest. My heart hurts. Is this how all the Mom's in Oslo feel, how the country of Norway feels? Life is riddled with danger and just has the owl that killed Rocky was only doing what owls do somehow it feels empty somehow. I hate predators but understand they are all part of the plan. It just sucks!

No comments: