I'm most disturbed by individuals who are so narrow-minded as to think that their experience is the experience that everyone must have. Let's be broad enough in our understanding to recognize that the atonement of Jesus Christ is an individual atonement for each one of God's children. ~ Aged Observer
So, there are times when I lurk about on the internet seeking out answers to the questions I am far too timid to ask. It’s always so astounding to me that there are so many exmo’s like me struggling to find their footings in a new and ever accepting world. You are so used to a culture that deems struggles as a measurement to sainthood and when you come to terms with choice equaling consequence you find yourself seeing the picture so much more clearer and the world so much more understanding.
So, the inevitable question, what am I on about?
I very rarely miss being at church, I hardley ever think twice about my Sunday mornings and relish in the freedom to simply let the day be what God intended, “A day of rest.” But recently I completely zoned out about Conference weekend and all that those two days imply.
I went onto my favorite FB groups to see them all abuzz about the talks and the doctrines and the moments that either a.) Make the exmo’s cringe. Or b.) Make the momo’s ecstatic; sometimes one talk can accomplish both. It happens more than you can even imagine.
I read a little and felt even less and turned onto my “Book of Awakening” to establish a moment of Zen. Then I went back with a new hope that somewhere there would be a “meet in the middle” compromise.
“In a world of accusations and unfriendliness, it is easy to gather and cast stones. But before we do so, let us remember the words of the One who is our Master and model: “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.” ~ D. Uchtdorf.
As a general rule I don’t have an absolute favorite anything most of the time. I have lots of favorites. President U is one of those general authorities that remind me that there is a middle ground. He often comes to terms of endearment that engender both sides and his admonitions’ always resolve around hope and forgiveness. He reminds me that there are reasons to hope that someone in authority can speak to what is REALLY needed for resolution. That someone understands the gospel of Jesus.
I wish I didn’t have to defend anything to anyone with regard to the choices I make and that the consequences were quietly mine to own. I wish that members understood just how cruel they are and that when they realize it that they would then see a need to change. I was just tired of waiting for a different world then what I so intimately understood and lived in. I get, in a very real way, that I can choose to ignore the judgment and then rise above the criticism. I am learning to do just that. But; it is always nice when someone in authority over those who see themselves as righteous and use their religion to excuse poor behavior, speaks, and says “stop it”.
Now, the question is, did they hear it?
No comments:
Post a Comment