Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Finding Purpose

So the wonderful thing about floundering is the finally finding your purpose again. What I have always known is the church fills your time so you have no time left. When you fall down the social ladder or for that matter get right off you can be left with a bit of time.

What do you do with that spare time?

You find purpose.

I knew what was coming quite some time back and started on the process of being accepted to the "Reading Advantage" program with the Calgary Public Library. All I can say is I feel more fulfilled, more needed, more in sync with my internal song and I am feeling hopeful. Serving outside of the faith is so different. I can't explain fully why excepting it feels like you're reaching beyond your comfort zone and making a difference beyond a world you have always known.  Service is actually redefined.

I am working with a wonderful woman from Japan whose goal is to be able to understand and function in English completely by the time her daughter reaches elementary school. Her daughter is 2. We are reading award winning children's literature, filling out day to day evaluation forms and school papers, practising conversations about poor service and working with the public. I am seeing the world in such a different way, a way that is making me grow. I am finally moving forward in such a profound way.

Service is so redefined for me now. It means more than teaching YW's or primary, compassionate service or working at the "Drop In Center". There is a whole world out there in need, beyond the walls of faith and I am becoming a part of it.

I would have never reached beyond the limits of my past had I not stepped away. For this experience alone, it was and continues to be worth it.

No comments: