There are moments in your life that change you. Moments that make you know that every breath you've drawn - every thought you've had - every prayer to sent heavenward - you very life's existence has been worth everything because you are going to be a grandparent and somewhere deep within your soul you suddenly feel complete. I've known for some time about this great news. It has come with some worries but what I do know is that my beautiful daughter is more than ready to be a mother. Knowing this simple truth has given me one of the most rewarding and comfortably assuring feelings I have ever experienced.
K1 was in tears as she told me and as we spoke through her fears and concerns, we both understood that the universe had aligned for this to be her moment and her gift. I postponed a journey already scheduled for Australia planned for earlier this month, choosing to make the time for being there when the baby comes in the fall. Something my mother did for me some nearly 28 years ago, something that speaks to the tradition and honor of motherhood to it's very core.
After K1 called I got off the phone with her I sat there praying not just in gratitude but in sheer terror for her journey being handled alone, without being there to support her and help her, I remembered my pregnancy with her in TO, of being alone through most of it. I was in and out of the hospital through the whole nine months and I remember being afraid. I do remember the moment she was born. Those memories, the sharing of the first breath your own child takes on this earth, changes you. It changes you forever in one of the greatest ways lire's grand cycle makes possible. You suddenly go outside yourself and you learn to be unselfish when you never realized you were ever selfish in the first place. You love something more than you have ever loved anything in your life.
I feel Mom at moments like this. When K1 was telling me this great news I could feel her, I could fell her JOY. I know that moments like this would have brought out that life learning lessons that Mom seemed to always bring to these situations. I know how much this would have meant to her, to be here for this. I know that right now, that sweet little spirit is with her now, learning about all the glass houses and about loving someone more and I can't think of a better place to be while she/he waits to come to this world and meet the mother who will make his/her journey the most incredible experience ever had.
My prayers go to Australia, my heart is there all the time. I can't even describe just how amazing it is to know that in just over 6 months from now my role as Mom is going to transcend to Grandma and I will then know all the JOY - Happiness and elation's that word imparts.
Thank you beautiful K for making my life complete in so many more ways then you will ever comprehend.
1 comment:
You're right about it all! Scary, yes, but definitely the most wonderfully challenging experience we can have on this earth. I've always thought Kate would be the most amazing mom - I'm so thrilled for her that she has her chance! And congratulations to you too!
Post a Comment