Thursday, February 9, 2012

War- .....

Something happened to me today that shifted my paradigm dramatically. I am going to write about it and hopefully it can process through in some meaningful way.

We have a fire in the dump on the reserve just outside the city limits. It has wreaked havoc on our neighborhood as a heavy thick smoke lays amongst the houses and in our home, it feels and smells like someone left the fireplace flue closed. I have felt my lungs tighten throughout the last few days and as I have medicated them and increased the dose to compensate for the heavy lungs the steroid rage has been building up. I have had asthma for sometime now. I know the rage. It takes a lot to control but I have learned to manage it.

I looked so forward after a difficult day to go to the library and have an evening with Iz. As we were sitting going through "Tuesdays with Morrie" I looked over to the Internet cubicles and witnessed a horrific scene. A woman, clearly a strong practising Muslim  with the full ha jib was watching scenes on YouTube of war. Graphic violent images were flashing across the screen and as the woman watched tears began to flow and she slowly laid her head into her hands. Over and over again, the images showed death. Young children strewn across a road, laying on a table, women's arms thrown in the air is grief and men, clearly killed laying in the streets with flags draped across their bodies.

IZ looked at me and we both felt helpless. I got up, went over and placed my arm on her shoulder. As she looked up I saw the ache in her face, the horror of her heart apparent. I placed my arms around her and all I could muster was "I am so sorry". She whispered, "this is my country, my city, these are my people. My government is killing my people." "I am so sorry", I whispered back. Her young daughters gathered around her, I looked to Iz and tears were flowing down her cheeks. War is not easy, war is so wrong and at that moment, three women from three different cultures felt its affects. I am not saying our pain was equal to the woman from Syria but  the same instinct, the same maternal instinct left anger behind and only felt the emotion of the wrongs that war bring.

I thank God everyday that my country is safe, my liberty guaranteed, at least for know and I am grateful that I live where a Muslim, and ex-Mormon and a faithful woman could find a commonness that looked past the differences and saw all that is wrong with a world that just doesn't get it. I wish I could have done more, I wish there was something more that could be done.

New goal - world peace - ONE WOMAN AT A TIME!

No comments: