#16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
"Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
So, this concept is one that I have only recently mastered and because I did, it has changed my life. Let me explain.
I am a person of “what ifs”. I tend to worry about what may happen or the possibility of chaos or change happening and would find myself changing my direction based on the possibility of chaos rather then the actuality of it. Dr. W caught this and because she did she gave me the courage and the skills to overcome the anxiety of the unknown, although I still talk the scenarios out, which now has given my life a greater sense of purpose. I am still working on this; it’s not that easy to overcome.
I don’t think you could ever imagine the amount of opportunities that were lost while I reasoned away the journey due to what may happen if I took it. I avoided problematic circumstances because I had no esteem to know that I could handle them. It’s an ironic situation. Going through difficulties gives you the experience to overcome more difficult ones but running away from the opportunities to grow makes it impossible to do just that; grow. Fear had brought my life to an emotional standstill. I was at a stalemate.
Oh sure, I rationalized it away. I was busy being a full time Mom, my life couldn’t possibly handle one more thing, it’s easy to assume the worst will happen and then when you don’t present yourself and nothing happens, you win. It was quicksand and I was sinking, terribly and quickly.
The change occurred in the understanding that “in all things I give thee experience”. Knowing that the set of circumstances you find yourself in are custom made and individualized and that you can overcome them by faith and prayer and an earnest effort gives you the strength to endure, overcome and become fulfilled. I have no fears now, even though I still talk out the what-if’s.
I am dating an amazing man with the patience to understand the fear and to listen. I may speak of the chances of chaos but they don’t burden me by seeing only the obstacles and running from the journey. In fact, now, it’s more of a way of road mapping the journey by actualizing the obstacles and preparing for them. It’s like a best case/worst case scenario walk through and then nothing surprises you. I have grown so much and seen so much joy by simply enduring and loving the journey that is mine, obstacles and all.
I now breathe, deeply, and move forward and while I do I am understanding God’s great plan for me. He does love me and he cares. I may not always do the right thing in the eyes of those who watch me but I am constantly striving to do the right thing for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment